Monday, October 19, 2009

Obsession with mobile technology!

Back in 2005 I worked for a call centre here in Brandon. I dealt with customer service (billing/tech support/sales) with a cellphone carrier in the US. While working there, I developed an interest in cellphones. Back then I had a Motorola C350 cellphone on Rogers. It was middle of the road for when I got it. It had text messaging/internet web capabilities. Plus back when I bought it, it was one of the only colour screen phones back then. Little did I know I would become obsessed with cellphones only months later.

Since I had an alright paying job at the call centre, I decided to buy a new phone. Something with power, something I can use to take pix on the go or whatnot. I bought a Motorola V635. The phone was a boring flip, but it was a nice phone for back then.. this was when the RAZR was starting to become HUGE.  It took decent quality pictures for back then, it had a 512mb memory card, and I could use my own ringtones!

In 2007 I upgraded to a HTC TyTn, which was a smartphone that had touchscreen capabilites. Finally.. I got my first PDA phone! I listened to alot of internet radio on it, such as CBC Radio 3. The camera was crap but I didn't care.. since I had a nice shiny new camera anyways. It was neat how I could customize the phone to my liking. It felt like a mini-computer! But the problem was.. Windows Mobile is a memory hog! The phone itself was aweful. I had to close multiple programs manually just so I could send a TEXT or make a phone call! I got sick of that phone soon later.

Then last year.. I got an iPhone 3G.. oh boy, it changed my life! It allowed me to finally use internet on the road, wherever I was, whether I'm on the Trans Canada near Portage la Prairie, or on the couch watching a TV show! it was an amazing device! I have never had a phone that was attached to me THAT MUCH in my life! I loved the ability to listen to web radio, send emails, listen to music, watch youtube, all without hassle! It cost me an arm and a leg, but it was worth it! I was planning on unlocking it so I could use it in the US under T-Mobile.. but my luck changed.. the phone DIED, it wouldn't make phone calls, it wouldn't access the internet. It was now a glorified iPod. Sure enough I called Rogers and they replaced it for free within 2 weeks!

Around the same time, I won a Blackberry Pearl from Rogers! This isn't your regular Blackberry Pearl candybar smart phone. Unlike almost all other Blackberries.. it had WIFI capability. This meant I could now use my phone on the farm just by using wifi. There's no GSM (Rogers) service at my parents farm, so whenever I wanted to make a call/text at the farm.. I was out of luck! The blackberry helped immensely. I made calls without having to go outside (to try to get SOME service), and text with ease.

Out of all the phones I owned, the only one I really enjoyed using was the iPhone. It's simple to use, very straight forward, and I have applications to customize it to my liking! So I can easily post photos to flickr while on the road, or as I said before, listen to internet radio! I found the Blackberry just slow and not really accommodating for the user. The TyTn loved to lock up every other minute, plus Windows Mobile is the worst mobile OS I have ever used. SO SLOW! Plus Internet Explorer on Windows Mobile is the greatest joke for an internet browser, ever! The Moto phones were good.. for someone who doesn't really ever use a phone. But if I was to use a Moto now, it would be too boring for me. I like to use the full internet whenever I want to, instead of WAP websites.. websites on WAP are just BORING! I'll always cherish my iPhone since it helped me when I was lost in a different city, it kept me in touch with my family while living in Quebec without internet, and it allows me to carry less devices while I'm on a walk. Now I no longer need to carry a cellphone AND an iPhone with me when going for a walk! It rocks! But now, I want to use the iPhone for more, I want to tether it to my computer.. only problem is that Brandon and Manitoba has only EDGE data outside of Winnipeg.. so the only speeds you get are dialup speeds! Very very slow :(

But what will be my next phone? Who knows, probably the successor the the iPhone 3GS. I would love to try out a Google Android device next, but personally.. I'd still be much happier with an iPhone either way. If I ever get sick of iPhones, I do know that I will never go back to Windows Mobile.. horrible OS. I feel sorry for those who have Windows Mobile phones that only have a touch screen.. those are hell to type on! Windows Mobile sure doesn't seem like an OS that should be in the toucheable market.

No comments:

Post a Comment