Thursday, March 25, 2010

Trois/Fifty Two! - Fort Garry's Folklorama Ale

I can't believe it's already week number three of the 52 week beer project, it seems like I was drinking the O'Hara only two days ago!

This week's beer is a seasonal specialty beer by Winnipeg microbrewery Fort Garry Brewing, which is owned by Vancouver brewery Russell Brewing Company.

This Fort Garry Folklorama beer celebrates the Winnipeg summer festival "Folklorama", which takes place each and everywhere around Winnipeg.

The beer comes in a 473ml can and is 5% alcohol/volume. When I bought this, I expected it to be a classic Canadian style lager as it doesn't mention what style of beer it is at all on the can. I was surprised when pouring it to find out it's a reddish/brown Ale. The taste is a bit boring, I definitely get the aftertaste of a regular ale, but I just can't really taste it, a bit watery for my tastes. Also, it has this grittiness (reminds me of sand) that's left in my mouth.. what in the world? Not a great ale, but then again I'm personally not a fan of any of Fort Garry's beer. Would be a decent beer for the average Manitoban as it is certainly not overpowering in any way. Would I buy this again? Probably not, unless if I happen to go to a Folklorama pavilion in the summer. I purchased this for about $2.50 Canadian, so it's cheaper than some other beers at the ~500ml size.

Flickr Link

No comments:

Post a Comment