Wednesday, November 18, 2009

The ups and downs of 2009


Who you looking at?, originally uploaded by Cody La Bière.
This year is only weeks away, this has been a very very crazy year, it has had some ups and some downs, so here's my ups and downs for 2009.

UPs:
  • In June, I graduated from Brandon University with a double major Arts degree in Politics and French. It took many years, many sleepless days, but finally got it done!
  • I volunteered my share of events throughout the year. I volunteered for the Folk Festival here in the city, with that I got to see some live shows. I also volunteered for the Western Canadian Music Awards. That was a huge blast as it was not in any way any work. It was a fun time since while working I got to chat with some of my favourite musicians and watch panel discussions from industry insiders. I also made a few new friends at that event!
  • I was asked around February to do an intro for the CBC Radio 3 program the R3-30. The episode was entitled Salute to Facial Hair. I was very proud of that, and also my idea of user-submitted show ideas has brought in a new feature to the R3-30.
  • Just this week I was featured in a blog entry on the CBC Radio 3 website: Link
  • I am now on the board of directors for a provincial political party for my constituency. I really never expected it.
DOWNs:
  • My post-university job search officially began in February, and I have yet to find a job. I have contemplated to move to Winnipeg, Ottawa, Montreal, Quebec and Moncton for a job. NOW I'm willing to move to anywhere and everywhere if I have to. The only job offer I actually got this year was to work on a farm.
  • Due to program issues, I was supposed to graduate with a double 4 year degree, but I ended up with double 3 year degree.
  • Volunteering for the Folk event here was one of the worst things I ever have done. I got a vibe that the volunteers didn't feel appreciated. I certainly wasn't appreciated. They screwed over my hours, especially since I could not work evenings. I ended up with only evening shifts. I also missed the only bands I wanted to SEE LIVE. I will never volunteer for that organization ever again.
  • Since I don't have a job, I get 10-15 emails from my mom each and every day like clock work with jobs to McDonalds and whatnot. Mom, stop it.
  • Many times I don't know when to stop drinking, and it has hurt the one I love. But thankfully.. I'm doing better now.
  • I'm still living in Brandon. I've never thought I would still be living here. I always imagined I'd be moved out of Brandon immediately after graduation. Sadly that hasn't happened. Also, people from Brandon are so.. je ne sais quoi. Not a very welcoming community. I've only made a few friends in the 6 years I've lived here. Also, each and every time I walk on the main drags of the city, people drive by and give me the finger, honk their horn (people who I don't know), and people yelling obscenities at me. Even one time, these 100lb wannabe gangsters drove by, swore at me. I gave them the finger and they turned onto the next intersection, jumped out of their car and pushed me, yelled at me, punched me. Of course, nobody even dared to slow down or stop as this was happening. That's Brandon hospitality for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment