Thursday, December 03, 2009

Review: Swanson's "New" Hungry Man Sports Grill Buffalo style chicken strips


So it appears that Swanson has changed some of their TV dinners. I'm not a fan what-so-ever of TV dinners because they're fatty, greasy, and just not healthy. But when you have a very busy schedule, sometimes a TV dinner is the quickest thing you can eat, sadly.

Swanson's changed their Hungry Man Sports Grill with Buffalo "style" chicken strips. Well, lets just say you get much less food and pay just as much (if not more) as before. Previously, the TV dinner would include about 6 strips of Buffalo Chicken strips, a portion of corn, crinkle cut fries and a Duncan Hines chocolate brownie. The Buffalo Strips were SPICY.

So, what do you get in the new Hungry Man Sports Grill? Now, you get 4 breaded chicken strips, Potato wedges covered in cheese sauce and a Buffalo sauce to dip your strips or your cheesy wedges into.

So what did I think of it? First off the strips.. compared to the old style Buffalo Strips they had before, I LOVE the new chicken strips much more than the old ones... BUT.. the portion size appears (or just seems like it) much smaller, plus instead of getting an insane amount of chicken strips, you get only 4. I didn't like the old Buffalo "style" strips, so when I finished the strips I was happy, but now.. I'm still grumbling after eating. As for the sauce that's included to dip the strips.. I didn't dare try it, it looked like a mixture of acid and ketchup (and bubbling). So I stayed away from that. As for the cheesy wedges. I LOVE the wedges, but the only problem: I hate the cheese sauce. The cheese sauce ruins the wedges for me. It would have been nicer if instead of having wedges covered in this cheesy goop, there was a compartment for the cheese sauce, like the Buffalo sauce. So whenever I do have a TV dinner with the cheese fries now, I thaw out the cheese and the wedges so I can remove most of the cheese off it. The wedges on their own are pretty good.. for a TV dinner. Compared to fries.. it's much better, plus it has a pseudo-homemade taste to it (compared to crinkle cut fries).

Edit: I did eventually try the sauce on it. My review stands - the sauce should be in its own spot. Now the most recent version of this TV dinner no longer contains the buffalo sauce, and as a replacement - different (crispier) chicken fingers with corn, mashed potato and brownie. I prefer this more. As for the sauce, I don't like the goopy sauce. It makes the chicken fingers in the Beer Battered version of this product quite mucky.

What sucks is that they got rid of the corn and the brownie. I don't care for corn so I usually threw that out before cooking anyways, but the brownie.. the brownie always guaranteed that the meal would fill me up. If they call it a Hungry Man (well a Hungry Man Sports Grill), they should have LOTS of food to fill up a hungry man, instead of a tiny portion.

So all in all, it has its ups and downs. The strips are delicious compared to the old style Buffalo strips, but the portion has shrunk a great deal, the wedges are GREAT but the sauce has got to go (or have its own compartment for those who don't want cheesy goop), and they need to bring back ATLEAST an after-meal snack with a brownie or SOMETHING! I regularly see this on sale at Wal-Marts and Real Canadian Superstores here in Canada for $5 (Sometimes $3 if on sale). Five bucks is just too much for that amount of food, it would be better to just make everything by hand instead.. even if time is limited.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous1:09 am

    old buffalo style chicken strips were better. w/ french fries + corn=win. this new one is more like the beer battered chicken and cheese fries, which is great but we dont need 2 of the same thing. :/

    ReplyDelete