Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Introducing: Middle Names!

For many years, I've been a big fan of Winnipeg Soul/Indie Rockers Novillero. I discovered them through a free iTunes song of the week, right when iTunes first launched in Canada. I immediately dug(ged) their awesome upbeatness, with a hint of soul, a bit of 70s and just plain awesomeness. Since first becoming a fan of them many many years ago, they've released a new album or two, toured thousands of kilometres, and I've seen them who knows how many times!

Novillero members Rod Slaughter (lead singer/keyboards/bass), Jack Jonasson (Moog/Tambourine/Awesomeness) and Sean Stevens (guitar) have formed a new band along with Jory Hasselman of Winnipeg rock band Haunter called "Middle Names!"

Just checking out their Facebook page, they have one song uploaded for fans to hear titled "Big Plans". It sounds like the awesomeness upbeatness that I know and love with Novillero, but even rockier. Just like Novillero, I'm instantly "wowed" by them. I have this gut feeling that they're going to make alot of new fans, as well as their Novillero fans.

Unlike in Novillero, Slaughter will be getting away from the ol' keyboards and switch it up as the band's bassist, and Jonasson will be the band's drummer. Slaughter was bassist of the Winnipeg duo Duotang that rocked Winnipeg and Canada a decade back, and Jonasson used to drum with the Paperbacks until a few years ago.

I hope you all check out Middle Names, and I hope they release their debut album shortly, and hopefully a cross Canada tour sometime!

Check out their Facebook page HERE!
Or their MySpace!

Also, check out my "Beer Pick of the Week - July 17, 2007", which is my band pick of the week on my old blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment