Thursday, January 28, 2010

My favourite snack food..

If I had to choose my favourite snack food, it would be Ketchup Chips by Winnipeg snack food company Old Dutch.

It has been a snack food fave of mine since I was a little kid. I would go down to the local grocery store each and every sunday and pick up a bag of Old Dutch Ketchup Chips and a chocolate milk, for me.. Old Dutch's ketchup chips and a chocolate milk went hand in hand!

For a while in the 90s I prefered the taste of Lay's ketchup chips, but that didn't last long. I find the Lay's ketchup chips too vinegary, and the chips itself are thin, brittle and feel like they're kind of "fake".

The ketchup chips by Old Dutch have this thick ketchuppy aroma when you open the bag. the chips themselves are fairly thick, and not brittle at all, sometimes you can get individual chips in the bag that are the size of the palm of your hand, quite large of a chip! I love the chips with alot of powder on them, makes my mouth water. Mmmm

Several years ago there were "Arriba" nacho chips that came in ketchup flavouring, I personally LOVED it, as I'm not a fan of nacho chips what-so-ever. However, the Ketchup Arribas were quickly discontinued (same with Ketchup Doritos).

Ketchup Chips are a very Canadian experience, and have been since who knows when. Whenever I talk to an American (or someone from just about anywhere) about ketchup chips, they start to gag and think it's the most disgusting idea ever, but they never tried it. Like poutine, if they gave it a try, they would fall in love with it!

So I went down to the US in the summer (North Dakota), while shopping for snacks I wandered in the chip eisle, I'm always amazed by the assortment of chips available at the grocery stores in the US, outtrumps what we get in Canada. And low and behold, they had Old Dutch's ketchup chips! The truely Canadian snack was now in stock in America. I found the chips slightly different than the classic Canadian counterpart, but a very tasty itself.

Just blogging about this is making my mouth water. However, the main problem I have is if I have a bag of ketchup chips infront of me, I *must* eat the entire bag/box. It doesn't matter how big it is, I must eat it all... Tooooo addicting! Thankfully I only manage to buy it once every few months.

No comments:

Post a Comment